How do I run a WordPress site locally?
Here are the simplified steps on how to install WordPress on a local computer:
- Install a local server (Mac: MAMP, PC:XAMPP or WAMP).
- Create a new database.
- Download WordPress from wordpress.org and extract the files to a new folder under the htdocs folder.
- Rename the wp-config-sample.
- Run wp-admin/install.
How do I create a local copy of a WordPress site?
How to Create a Local Copy of a Live WordPress Site
- Activate Apache and MySQL. This first step assumes that you have gone through the process of creating a local WordPress site.
- Copy Your Site’s WordPress Files.
- Export Your Site’s Database.
- Import Your Site’s Database to Your Local Server.
- Set Up the Database for Local Usage.
Can I run WordPress on my PC?
WordPress is not a program that you normally install on your computer, it is installed on the server of your web hosting company. But, if you have a live website and need a safe area where you can work and play during a LearnWP WordPress workshop you can run WordPress locally on your laptop.
How do I create a WordPress site using localhost?
How to install WordPress on XAMPP
- Step 1: Download WordPress. Head over to WordPress official download site to get the latest version of WordPress.
- Step 2: Extract the downloaded folder.
- Step 3: Copy the extracted folder to XAMPP registry.
- Step 4: Rename the folder.
- Step 5: Launch website in browser.
- Step 6: Create a database.